• April 2Tuesday the 3rd - Friday the 6th are block days due to state testing

Classical Music: The best form of music

Kayla Parker, Reporter

Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, and Tchaikovsky are composers of the many popular classical songs musicians, and non-musicians, known today. For non-musicians, “1812 Overture,” “G Major Minuet” and “Fur Elise” maybe some songs they can recognize by listening but not name.

Classical music is music written in the European tradition during a period lasting approximately from 1750 to 1830 when forms such as the Symphony, Concerto, and Sonata were standardized.

Classical music is beautiful, elegant and very underappreciated. One of my absolute favorite classical songs is “Moonlight Sonata” by Beethoven. It is a 15-minute song with three different parts in it–Adagio Allegretto, Presto Agitato–and I love them all.  

Teens today don’t often listen to Classical music because they could be too long.

“It has no words, and the songs sound the same,” freshman Charleigh Urton said.  

That is true; some pieces could have many parts and range from minutes to hours. Some songs are inspired by other pieces, so they could have some similar parts.

Rap music is one of the popular music styles in 2018, and in my opinion, it seems rushed through, vulgar and has no emotion. To me, you can feel the soul, emotion, and passion for the art of music in a Classical song. It is my comfort place, and it brings me joy to listen to it. The soothing sounds of a G to an A to a B flat is so simple but yet so amazing. Fun fact: B flat is my favorite note

I encourage more people to listen to Classical music more often, maybe not for fun like I do, but maybe
to help go to sleep, or
 while you’re working to focus. The more you listen to it, the more hooked you will get.

Kayla Parker is a freshman at Topeka West. She is enrolled in 21st Century Journalism. She can be reached at [email protected]