• April 2Tuesday the 3rd - Friday the 6th are block days due to state testing

Topeka West Bowling Teams Expected to Place at Regionals

Seniors Jordan Freed and Braden Zeferjahn prepare to bowl.

Graham Bond, Campus View Assistant Editor-in-Chief

The bowling team will be competing at West Ridge Lanes in Topeka for the Regionals tournament this week. This tournament will show just how well the varsity teams and the individual bowlers stack up to their local rivals.

Topeka West is expected to do well; West’s bowling team has had success in the past. Last year the men’s varsity team, consisting of Dom Phillips, Britton Thompson, Adam Wood, Jordan Freed, Jared Freed, and Dylan Tidwell, took first in Regionals and second at State. This season, Wood, the Freeds, and Tidwell, along with Cody Mzhickteno, Austin Blazier, and Skylar Barnes hope to do even better than last year.

While Topeka West is expected to perform well, they will face some tough opponents.

“The big three, Washburn Rural, Shawnee Heights, and Seaman [are our main competitors],” said Junior Mara Gilbreath.

“Shawnee Heights is pretty much the only team we need to watch out for,” said Senior Jared Freed. “I’m friends with most of the bowlers on that team, and yeah, they’re pretty good.”

Nevertheless, the West team definitely is going into the tournament as one of the best teams.

“Everyone on the team is doing well, especially the six guys on varsity, who have all really stepped up at times when the team needed us the most,” said Senior Jordan Freed, who racked up an unheard three 300 scored games shortly before the bowling season started.

“They’re doing pretty good,” agreed Sophomore Austin Boyett. “Jared got first place in the last quad, and that’s just awesome.”

While most teams have just one MVP, the varsity boys bowling team at West differs; Wood, the Freeds, Tidwell, and Mzhickteno are all performing their best, picking up a first place win at almost every tournament they’ve traveled to or hosted.

“Most of the varsity members are doing pretty well this season, such as Cody, Adam, Jordan, and Dylan,” Jared Freed said.

“Adam is always good, plus Jared’s done well this season,” Sophomore Sierra Nelson said.

The West varsity girls team is doing just as well, with Senior Makaila Cowdin, Junior Aunna Campos, and Sophomore Ashley Wilson.

“Makaila supports the team really well and is great at picking up spares,” Nelson said. “She placed in 7th at the varsity Centennial League almost always places at meets. Ashley [Wilson]’s great at getting strikes. Mara really supports the team, and has had a good average throughout the season.”

This upcoming Friday, the West bowling team will compete in the Regionals tournament at West Ridge Lanes and is expected to take home a win and proceed to State. As Nelson stated, “we’re gonna win.”