Loco for cocoa and studying too

Cocoa and Cram connects freshmen with mentors to increase success for finals week.

Back to Article
Back to Article

Loco for cocoa and studying too

Link Crew members distribute hot cocoa to freshmen and the annual Cocoa and Cram event.

Nicholas Burgess

Nicholas Burgess

Nicholas Burgess

Alanna Walker, Campus View Editor-in-Cheif

Topeka West’s annual Cocoa and Cram was held Dec. 12  to help freshmen prepare for their first high school finals week.

‘’The purpose of Cocoa and Cram is to focus on the main goal of our program, which is helping all freshmen graduate.  We coordinate study sessions for all freshmen in preparation for their first finals week of their high school career to help see them through to graduation,” Link Crew sponsor Andrea York said.

Cocoa and Cram gave freshmen a chance to have fun and study for their finals. The event started with each freshman getting hot chocolate and cookies along with having the opportunity to watch the Link Crew perform skits and dance.

“My favorite part was when Link Crew performed great dances and skits,’’ freshman Whitley Benson said.

Students were able to sign up for two sessions of their choice. Each teacher had a study guide for the freshmen in order to help them be successful for finals. Some even offered extra credit.

“Cocoa and Cram gave me good advice to not see finals as a stressful thing,” freshman Lauren Province said.

“It felt good to help the freshmen because I knew my help would benefit their scores later on,” senior and Link Crew member Sierra Jackson said.

While the freshmen enjoyed treats and studying, the Link Crew enjoyed mentoring the freshman class.