• April 2Tuesday the 3rd - Friday the 6th are block days due to state testing

Avengers: Infinity War Review

Graham Bond, Campus View Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Avengers: Infinity War opened this weekend, becoming one of the biggest events in film history. After grossing an estimated $630 million in its opening weekend and pre-selling more tickets than the past seven Marvel movies combined, how great is the biggest crossover of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU)?  SPOILERS AHEAD.

Infinity War can be summed up as such: a wild, ecstatic film, portrayed more like a comic book than any other superhero movie to date. The cast is so big, some of the actors and actresses don’t have a chance to interact, including fan-favorites Captain America (Chris Evans) and Iron Man (Robert Downey Jr.). Yet, with such bombastic goals, the film achieves its main idea well.

After 18 MCU movies, Infinity War is tasked with tying in the storylines between the Avengers (or rather the group’s separate factions), the Guardians of the Galaxy, Spider-Man (Tom Holland), and Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman). It does this like a video game, using unrealistic plot points that set up the story in a subpar manner, yet manages to effectively work. Once the story got going, I was able to overlook this. After all, it’s still a superhero movie.

Infinity War has its fair share of conflict, with what felt like an overwhelming amount of fight scenes. Three main stages are shown in the movie (Titan, Nidavellir, and Wakanda), two of which are major battlegrounds. The battle at Wakanda was the worst of all in terms of carnage. Black Panther and Captain America reuniting in a giant battle was definitely a spectacle, yet the battle’s gargantuan scale worked as a disadvantage. The fight scenes eventually became monotonous.

Arguably the most important conflict in the story revolved around an underdeveloped character, Vision. Vision possessed an infinity stone, a piece of Thanos’ weapon of mass destruction. I felt as though the conflict was important, yet boring. Vision’s character was just too robotic to care about.

As in every MCU movie, the humor was good. The cast was great at bouncing conversation around, and their banter was entertaining to listen to. In a movie with so much constant fighting, the comic relief was necessary and welcome. The humor was arguably Infinity War’s greatest strength.

Toward the end of Infinity War, the pace started to speed up. Thanos had to face off against the Avengers and the stakes got set really high. It was a fingernail biting, edge of your seat conclusion that surprised both fans of the movies as well as fans of the comics. When the credits started rolling, there was a sour, shocked atmosphere throughout the theater. Most importantly, the last scene left me in anticipation for part two’s release next May.

Finally, as in every MCU movie, Infinity War had an amazing post-credit scene that furthers the franchise into more films. In the scene, Nick Fury (Samuel L. Jackson) appears, uninformed about Thanos and the looming genocide that threatens the characters. As people around him start to die, he activates a pager-like device that flashes the words “sending” and, seconds later, “sent.” After, the device flashes a red, white, and blue emblem, hinting towards upcoming Marvel movie, Captain Marvel.

Overall, Avengers: Infinity War was another solid Marvel movie, but was a bit too big. The humor was great and the fight scenes were drawn out but intense.

Film Rating: ⭐⭐⭐