• April 2Tuesday the 3rd - Friday the 6th are block days due to state testing

Spotlight Story: Andrew Lake

Hannah Nystrom, Yearbook Editor

Being a relatively new teacher here, Andrew Lake is learning just as much as his students. Topeka West is Lake’s first teaching job after graduating from Washburn University. While as Washburn Lake was a top student at graduating with honors thesis for mathematics and philosophy, as well as summa cum laude for BA. In other words, he graduated with a 4.0 and above GPA. While at Washburn Lake participated in debate where he received many awards for his superior ability in this activity.

Lake is the assistant coach for the Topeka West debate and forensics team. Because of Lake’s prior experience in this activity he has been able assist debate and forensics team in their success. This past school year a handful of students qualified for state due to Lake’s excellent coaching.

Making the switch from being the student to becoming the teacher can be very challenging but Lake quickly overcame this challenge and became a significant teacher within his first year at Topeka West. Lake has been at West for four years, teaching algebra two each year. Lake’s only occupation is teaching at West which gives him the ability to fully dedicate himself to making sure his students are successful in and out of the classroom. Lake has been an important addition to the Topeka West faculty and continues to help prosper the math department each and every year.