• April 2Tuesday the 3rd - Friday the 6th are block days due to state testing

Topeka West Bowling Team Wins State

Graham Bond, Campus View Assistant Editor-in-Chief

Last Friday, the Topeka West bowling team had several victories at the State Championship. The boy’s varsity bowling team placed first at State with the girl’s varsity team that placed fourth. Also, West’s individual bowlers did well too; Senior Jordan Freed took fourth, along with Senior Dylan Tidwell that took 7th place, and Senior Adam Wood that took 18th. On the girl’s side, Senior Makaila Cowdin took 4th individually, and Junior Hadley Overstreet took 12th place.

Too many people at Topeka West, these wins are not a surprise. The team was strong and confident through the entire season.

“We’re gonna win State,” said Senior Jared Freed, speaking on behalf of the bowling team during the Winter pep assembly.

However, the tournament was still a challenge, as West’s local rivals Shawnee Heights and Seaman High were at the championship. Nevertheless, that didn’t stop the boy’s team from beating both at the championship.

Tuesday night, the team had their annual banquet, but with a turn. Coach Mike Thompson promised the team that he would let them give him a haircut if they won State. Thompson didn’t go back on his promise, and the boy’s team delighted in giving him a deep, purple mohawk.

“You’re enjoying this too much, Jared,” Thompson said with a grin.

“He looks like an actual charger,” Wood exclaimed.

Assistant Coach Mark Gingrich joined in, getting his beard dyed purple by the girls.

Overall, all the bowlers were happy to celebrate yet another State win.